University Registrar's Office

Foreign Language Waiver or Substitution

Students whose high school courses were taught in a foreign language may document their proficiency with a high school transcript to receive a GEC or CLER foreign language waiver.

A student who can demonstrate 80% written and 60% verbal proficiency of a foreign language may submit a letter of certification from a professor at any accredited U.S. college or university to the University Registrar's Office for a GEC or CLER foreign language waiver.

Foreign language substitution appeals for students with disabilities should be directed to Nancy Bucknall in CASA at 336/334-4361.

Foreign language waiver appeals for major or cognate requirements should be directed to the student's academic department.