KIN PHD Moving Up in National Rankings
In the most recent (2010) national ranking of doctoral programs in the field of kinesiolgy, the Department of Kinesiology at UNCG ranked 15th overall.
Fifty-four departments in the U.S. offer a doctoral degree in the field of kinesiology (see the American Kinesiology Association for full list). Participating programs were ranked by the National Academy of Kinesiology (formerly AAKPE), which is the most important ranking body in our field.
The overall ranking is determined from the results of 16 individual indices of faculty contributions and doctoral student performance. UNCG was in the top 10 in 6 of 16 indices including:
- National visibility of faculty
- Number of research presentations
- Graduates employed in the field
- Just missing the top 10, at number 11, was student assistantships
The Department of Kinesiology offers programs leading to:
- Master's (M.S.) degrees as well as a specialized Master of Science in Athletic Training (M.S.A.T.).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Doctorate of Education Online (Ed.D).
- Combined M.S./Ph.D.
For undergraduates, majors in Kinesiology lead to the Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.).
News and Events
- May 8, 2014: Kinesiology Departmental Graduation Ceremony, 2:00 pm, Fleming Gym. If you are a graduate or undergraduate student that will graduate in either May 2014 or August 2014, and will be participating in the KIN Departmental Ceremony, please go to 2014 KIN Departmental Graduation Google Form and complete by Tuesday, April 1st.
- April 15, 2013: Dr. Sandy Shultz and Dr. Jenny Etnier will be inducted into the National Academy of Kinesiology in Fall 2013 based on their significant contributions to the study of human movement and physical activity. Congratulations !
- April 8, 2013: Professor Jennifer L. Etnier was interviewed on NPR for her research on Physical Activity and Alzheimer's Disease (the PAAD Study). To learn more, visit www.paadstudy.org.
- Feb. 7, 2013 : Kinesiology: “The Science of Physical Activity” Lab Tour presented by the Rise Network. Meet our scientist scholars and graduate students and experience guided laboratory experiment tours! For more information ...
Dr. Sandy Shultz, Professor and Department Chair
Tel.: (336) 256-1429
Fax: (336) 334-3070
Tel.: (336) 334-5573
Tel.: (336) 334-5308