The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was established by legislative enactment on February 18, 1891. The City of Greensboro, situated near the geographical center of the state, was selected for the location of the new institution after its citizens approved $30,000 in bonds for its first buildings. R.S. Pullen and R.T. Gray gave the original 10-acre site. The institution opened on October 5, 1892 with a student body of 198 and a faculty of 15 and the final enrollment reached 223 at the end of the first year. Classes were organized in three departments: commercial, domestic science and pedagogy.
The institution came into being as a direct result of a crusade by Dr. Charles Duncan McIver on behalf of the education of women. Other pioneers in public school education notably, Edwin A. Alderman, James Y. Joyner and M.C.S. Noble assisted McIver, but to him, more than to any other individual, the University owes its foundation.
During the past century the university's mission has evolved, as suggested with its sequence of names. It was known first as the State Normal and Industrial School, and after 1897 as the State Normal and Industrial College until 1919. During the period 1919-1931, it was known as the North Carolina College for Women, and became the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina from 1932 to 1963. It is warmly remembered as the WC by its many alumnae of the period.
From 1932 to 1963 the university was one of the three branches of the Consolidated University of North Carolina. The other campuses included The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering at Raleigh (now N.C. State University). In 1962, the Board of Trustees recommended that the Greensboro campus become coeducational at all levels of instruction. Subsequently, by act of the General Assembly in the spring of 1963, the name of the institution was changed to The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The first African American students were admitted in 1956 and men were first admitted as part of the general student body in 1964.
In December of 1934, during the years of the Consolidated University, the Woman's College Section of the Alpha of North Carolina Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was installed. (Alpha Chapter is the one at Chapel Hill.) On February 17, 1956, Epsilon Chapter of North Carolina was installed at this campus. In 2006, UNCG's chapter was voted the best in the nation on a public university campus by the national Phi Beta Kappa organization.
In October of 1971, the North Carolina General Assembly adopted legislation which combined all 16 of the state-supported institutions of higher education into a single University of North Carolina. The UNC system is governed by a board of governors and administered by a president. Each constituent institution has a separate board of trustees and is administered by a chancellor.
UNCG's chancellor is Dr. Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr., who took office May 22, 2015. He came to UNCG from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he was Dean of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs.
In addition to founding president Charles Duncan McIver, UNCG's other chief executive officers have been:
- Dr. Julius I. Foust (1906-1934)
- Dr. Walter Clinton Jackson (1934-1950)
- Dr. Edward Kidder Graham (1950-1956)
- Dr. W.W. Pierson Jr. (1956-1957, 1960-61, interim)
- Dr. Gordon W. Blackwell (1957-1960)
- Dr. Otis Singletary (1961-64, 1966)
- Dr. James S. Ferguson (1964-1979, including interim term)
- Dr. William E. Moran (1979-1994)
- Dr. Debra W. Stewart (Fall semester 1994, interim)
- Dr. Patricia A. Sullivan (1995-2008)
- Dr. Linda P. Brady (2008-2015)
- Dr. Dana L. Dunn (Spring, Summer semesters 2015, acting)
With more than 18,600 students and 2,500 faculty and staff, UNCG is the largest state university in the Piedmont Triad and has an annual economic impact of more than $1 billion. The campus has grown to include 24 residence halls and 30 academic buildings on 210 acres.
UNCG takes pride in being a learner-centered public research university. The College of Arts & Sciences and seven professional schools offer 85 undergraduate majors, 61 master's programs and 26 doctoral programs.
The university holds two classifications from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, as a research university with high research activity and for community engagement in curriculum, outreach and partnerships. More than $35 million annually in grants and contracts for research and creative activity are awarded to faculty members annually. Among the most prominent of UNCG's research initiatives are the Gateway University Research Park and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, both partnerships with North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.
Globalization of the curriculum has expanded opportunities for international education, through new programs like the UNC Exchange Program and the Lloyd International Honors College. In addition, innovative signature programs such as Building Entrepreneurial Learning for Life (BELL), Communication Across the Curriculum, Undergraduate Research and Freshman Seminars enhance the student experience.
As a cultural leader, UNCG offers concerts, lectures, dance and theatre performances, exhibitions in the internationally known Weatherspoon Art Museum, and readings by nationally known authors. In athletics, Spartan teams compete in nine women's and nine men's sports in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. With ethnic minority students making up 26 percent of the student body, UNCG is the most diverse of the UNC system's historically white campuses.
Although much has changed, some things remain the same. The university motto Service continues to be a guiding principle put into practice through all aspects of university life.
UNCG Schools and College of Arts & Sciences
The University's Academic Affairs Division consists of seven academic schools, the College of Arts & Sciences, the Graduate School and the Lloyd International Honors College. The names below are the ones currently in use. In some cases, the names have changed since the academic units were founded. The schools and their dates of establishment are:
- Graduate School 1921-22
- College of Arts & Sciences 1969
- Lloyd International Honors College 2005
- Joint School of Nanoscience & Nanoengineering 2007 (PDF file)
- Joseph M. Bryan School of Business & Economics 1969
- School of Education 1921
- School of Health and Human Sciences 2011
- School of Music, Theatre and Dance 2010
- School of Nursing 1966